Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Splitting Big Red Hairs

I blogged on Monday about the Sun's most recent incarnation of the "161 Things Every Cornellian Should Do." I've done 45, my current roommate has accomplished 51, and Dennis over at the Review blog checks in with 27.

But are we even counting the same way? Should we only be permitted to check something off if we've literally accomplished what the list says, or does it count if we've done something in the spirit of the task?

Let's look at a few examples.
o 32. Go to a Shabbat dinner at 104 West (CornellCard it)
What if you've been to dinner but haven't CornellCarded it?

o 120. Meet Bill Nye ’77, “The Science Guy,” and give him a hug

What if you didn't hug Bill Nye?

o 122. Go on a road trip to Canada, flirt with the border patrol, smuggle booze back

I regret to say that I did not flirt with either border patrol agent on our alcohol-filled road trip to Canada in March. Should I get credit?

You get the idea. I would have 5-10 more items checked off if I counted loosely, but I tried to stick to the literal descriptions.

The list was clearly not written by someone heading to law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment