Thursday, August 27, 2009

The "Greek"-Cornell Connection

I'll admit, with a little embarrassment, that I enjoy watching ABC Family's show "Greek," which is about fraternity and sorority life at a fictitious university. Sure, it won't win any awards for writing or acting (although I think Spencer Grammar is outstanding), but the show's ability to capture the dynamics of Greek life is what makes me watch. As a former president, myself, I can relate to the relationship between Cappie and Evan, the challenges of running a house, and other situations which the show brings to life.

Today's Sun has an interview by Justine Fields with Cornell alum Jessica O'Toole '94, who happens to be one of the show's writers. We learn that some of the parts of the show are based on O'Toole's experiences at Cornell:
Sun: It seems you haven’t lost your Cornell roots as there are some clear ties to Cornell in the show, like the alma mater. So are any of these are actually drawn from Cornell?

J.O.: Yes, because we wrote the lyrics to that song. And yes, of course I still remember the Cornell alma mater. Well, I remember the first couple of lines and the tune of it. But yeah, that’s totally true.

Sun: Are there other subtle Cornell references that you’ve put in there?

J.O.: Of course things that I remember always come into the show. We have the Amphor Society, which is the secret society, and I remember that one from Cornell. I’m scared to even talk about it because I know it’s a secret society.

O'Toole was not in a sorority, herself, but her husband is a fraternity man and her writing partner was in a sorority at UVA.

The third season of "Greek" begins on Monday night.

(Cornell Daily Sun)

No comments:

Post a Comment