Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spitzer, Edwards, Massa, Arcuri

One of the themes of the last couple of years of my college career has been a steady march towards political disillusionment. I knew I wanted to major in Government when I applied to Cornell, and I will get my diploma in May. But whereas I might have said three years ago that I would love to be a campaign manager one day, that is certainly no longer the case.

During the fall of my freshman year, I spent a lot of time campaigning for Democratic candidates in our area of New York. There were many of us involved in these efforts. I canvassed in the towns near Ithaca, asking people questions and dropping off literature for Hillary Clinton, Eliot Spitzer, and Mike Arcuri. I also phone-banked for Eric Massa and Arcuri. Arcuri won his race in 2006 and is still serving; Massa lost a close race in 2006, but won in 2008.

I stayed very interested in politics for a couple of years after that. During the summer of 2008, I worked for a campaign finance watchdog group. The highlight of the summer was probably when we received a call from Rick Davis, who was at that time John McCain's campaign manager. Davis told my boss to go fuck himself.

The 2008 cycle was also the first time I donated to a campaign, and the first time I voted in a presidential primary. Both were for John Edwards.

I should also note that I was still young and stupid in 2006 and voted for Joe Lieberman. Twice.

Maybe you can see where I'm going here.

Eric Massa, for whom I campaigned and had the pleasure of meeting in person, has had a... fall from grace.

Mike Arcuri, for whom I campaigned heavily and almost accepted an internship in his DC office, was the first Democratic Congressman to announce his opposition to the health care bill.

Eliot Spitzer, for whom I campaigned, had his own issues.

John Edwards hasn't turned out too well, either.

Lieberman, we in Connecticut don't speak of him.

Some might say that I've just had back luck with the people I've chosen to support. As for me, I've just about had enough. I'm happy to cheer from the sidelines, and I'll certainly keep voting, but I'm not getting back in the game.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget Dodd, Patterson, Rangel, Bruno, Monserrate, Perez, Rowland, Silvester, Giordano, Ganim...the list goes on in just NY and CT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only including candidates whom I'd personally supported. But obviously there are many more from the area.

    ReplyDelete