Saturday, June 27, 2009

Olbermann Mocks Sanford

I wrote on Thursday about how I respected Sanford for coming forward so honestly about the emotional issues he was facing. While I reprinted some of the leaked emails between Sanford and his Argentinian lover, I did so to prove a point about his personal side, not to score political points.

Yet it seems others have not been so kind. Keith Olbermann (Cornell '79) and Rachel Maddow, the MSNBC hosts who have become unofficial spokesmen for liberal America, decided to exploit the emotions within Sanford's emails to further embarass him on national television. Rightfully so, KO and RM have gotten some criticism from the left for doing this. Here's a great diary from DailyKos on the issue:

I cringed last night while Keith Olbermann mocked the contents of emails sent by South Carolina Governor Sanford (R) to his lover. I couldn't understand why Keith felt so compelled to read the love letters word for word. I could not find one bit of newsworthy information in his routine. I was sickened by the glint of joy I saw in Keith's eyes as he pounded away at the contents of the love letters.

Then came Rachel Maddow, the political commentator that I trust most. And she seemed to be making fun of Sanford's emails. My heart sank. I was ashamed to be a liberal if being a liberal meant that we cheered the unnecessary fire bombing of a person's love life.

The content of these emails has absolutely nothing to do with this story and they should never have been released. The story is that the Sanford lied to his staff and left the state and country without telling anyone. His affair is part of the story only because of his political positions regarding values, etc. The contents of the emails has nothing to do with anything.

Please, Keith and Rachel, if you have any sense of decency, apologize for your mocking attitude towards this man's love letters. After all, who hasn't been in love? Who hasn't spilled their guts out to someone else? Who deserves to have those musing posted all around the world?

Let Sanford, his wife, his lover, and his kids sort out their personal issues. There's a difference between news reporting and the tabloid treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment