Sunday, June 28, 2009

Family Court Quote of the Day

I've refrained from blogging about my internship, partly because I want to wait until the end of the summer before I start reflecting on it, but also because most of the events I see every day are confidential. (From intern training: "What kind of a con was he?" "Confidential.")

On Thursday, we had a pretty amusing divorce case. After I had given the parties copies of the judge's order for an absolute divorce, the husband grabbed me on the arm and said, "don't ever get married." I thanked him for the advice, and reminded the parties that they were still legally married until the 30 day appeal window had expired.

Hearing this, he turned to his (ex-) wife, from whom he had been separated for 5 years, and asked her, "Seeing as we're still married, want to grab a soda?" She just shook her head and walked out.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that funny, but it was a light moment in what was otherwise a pretty depressing day of divorce and custody battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment