Saturday, April 25, 2009

Just Cancel Classes on Slope Day

In my three years at Cornell, I have never attended a class on Slope Day. All of my professors have either outright canceled class or have told us that they'll be there but they don't care if we skip that day.

But this isn't always the case. I've heard of some professors who distribute important final exam review materials that day, or inform their students that there will be a question on the final based on that day's class.

An editorial in the Sun on Thursday about the architecture program reminds us that "Slope Day, one of the few days where the majority of the University comes together, is annually filled with reviews for third-year architects."

I have a research paper due at noon on Slope Day...20 pages which are worth 70% of my grade for the semester. And as much as I'm hoping to finish before then, I have a feeling I'll be spending the night before Slope Day at the library.

Why does the university halfheartedly pretend to maintain a regular academic schedule on Slope Day while funneling tens of thousands of dollars into activities for the day on the Slope? They shut down whole buildings, fence off Libe Slope, recruit hundreds of volunteers, and provide entertainment at the same time as when classes are scheduled.

For the sake of the few unfortunate people who have classes or assignments due on Slope Day, the university should simply cancel classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment