Thursday, February 12, 2009

Priorities

Friday is our Valentine's Day formal. Saturday is Valentine's Day.

This is also the weekend of the Cornell hockey games at Dartmouth and Harvard.

Where will I be both nights? I think you know.

As much as I would love to have a fun weekend in Ithaca, I made the decision to attend every Cornell hockey game this year to which I can reasonably travel. So far this decision has taken me to every game but the two in North Dakota. I'm sick and I have a lot of work this weekend, but tomorrow morning I'm dragging myself to the car for the 6-hour drive to Hanover, N.H.

It's not like I don't have fun at the hockey games. It's a great feeling to stand with a few other members of the traveling Faithful -- alumni, townies, players' moms -- in an unfamiliar rink somewhere in the frigid northeast. There's a sense of family and community that I haven't experienced anywhere except with my biological and fraternal families. I wouldn't travel to all the games if I didn't enjoy doing so.

Sometimes this commitment comes at a sacrifice. This is just one of those weekends I'm going to have to plunge into and assure myself that I'm doing the best thing.

This will probably be the last post until Sunday. I'll leave you with a picture I took at the Harvard game in 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment