Saturday, February 7, 2009

And I Will Name My Child "Ithaca"

Sarah Palin just won't go away. Esquire published an interview with her in which we learn that the name of her daughter, Bristol, is due in part to the Connecticut town that houses the ESPN studios.

Two meanings in Bristol's name: I worked at the Bristol Inn, and Todd grew up in Bristol Bay. But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN. And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.

This thought process explains a lot of Palin's decision-making.

The whole interview is worth reading, if only to reassure ourselves that the country made the right choice in electing Obama and Biden. I'll leave you with this quote:

Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment