Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Has Anyone Ever Won $100 From the Cornell Store?


I received yet another email from the Cornell Store today. As usual, it mentions that we should swipe our Cornell IDs at the Store so we are entered in a drawing to win a $100 gift card every day.

You can read full details of this "daily drawing" on the Store website.

Here's my question: Has anyone ever won this? Has anyone heard of anyone winning this?

It seems very strange to me that in four years at Cornell, I have never heard of anyone winning the daily drawing. We're talking about 1000+ daily drawings, and I've never heard of anyone winning. I realize that the odds are that I wouldn't win it personally, but one would think that I would know someone who has won.

So, has anyone won the drawing? Can someone assure me that they actually give out $100 each day?

Update: I have been assured by employees of the Store that they do, in fact, choose a winner each day.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, what the Campus Store is doing is illegal. It requires a purchase. Which means it's a lottery. Which it's not allowed to do. If they allowed you to swipe your ID/give your Net ID without purchasing, then it's fine, and it's considered a sweepstakes.

    Any sweepstakes rules will provide you with an address for you to be able to obtain a list of winners. This one doesn't. Another issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same suspicions until about 2 weeks ago when a friend of mine won the drawing. It's totally legit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know, Dennis. But it's still possible that they're doing a drawing every week, or even every month, instead of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TCS should publish a list of winners and then we can actually see how many people have won.

    I agree with EB that the number of winners they produced is very questionable.

    ReplyDelete